Get customer enquiries through your personal profile page
Showcase your work by adding your portfolio to your profile page
Set your own rates, availability and services
Promote your freelance services to local businesses
Get access to New Zealand's largest freelancer job board
Get personalised introductions to clients who post job on our job board
Budget ranges, timelines and requirements specified
Up-to-date and pre-vetted clients
Connect with a community of Kiwi freelancers
Knowledge base to help you become a better freelancer
Monthly online workshops to help you take your biz to the next level
Find your next freelance job in New Zealand
Video Editor/Animator for commercial
Videography project for Mid-sized business (11- 100 employees) in Auckland.
Email/Social Media Marketing Campaign
Social Media Marketing project for Coach/Consultant in Te Anau.
App developer for healthy meals
App Design project for Small business (less than 10 employees) in Christchurch.
Looking for a freelance animator
Videography project for Small business (less than 10 employees) in Dunedin.
Leadpages Site and Landing Pages
Web Design project for Coach/Consultant in Havelock North.
Analytics Researcher for Agency
Marketing Strategy project for Design/Marketing Agency in Wellington.
Who should sign up to Unicorn Factory?
Unicorn Factory is best suited for people who are serious about turning their craft into paid work. We are looking for people who are creative, but most importantly, people who are willing to invest in themselves and their freelance business.
- You are passionate about your craft and you see freelancing as an amazing opportunity to get paid to do what you love.
- You haven't had your first paying client yet. Maybe you have been held by the fear of finding clients, failure or being judged.
- You are willing to take freelancing seriously from day one, and want to invest time and money up-front to set yourself up for success.
- Who hires Newbies on Unicorn Factory? Small local businesses, like yoga studios or cafes, often hire our Newbies because they are the most cost effective option, while still getting quality work.
- Newbies usually charge our an hourly rate between $35 - $45 per hour.
😎 Side Hustlers
- You are currently in a full-time job but love the idea of using your skills and knowledge to help local businesses grow.
- You might be working on your own startup and want to freelance on the side to keep cash coming in while you are building your business. (That's how I started)
- You also love the idea of having one or two freelance clients to make a bit of extra money on the side.
- Even though you freelance on the side, professionalism and delivering value is important to you.
- Who hires Side Hustlers on Unicorn Factory? Early-stage startups and small local businesses are the most common clients for our side hustlers. These are often one-off projects with a fixed project rate.
- Our most popular services for Side Hustlers are copywriting, branding and strategy.
- You have a well established freelancing business and have been self-employed for a while now.
- You consider yourself a full-time freelancer, consultant or coach.
- You specialise in a specific area of design, development or marketing. You may work with a specific niche, but are open to working with businesses who are looking for your expertise.
- You currently have no employees or business partners, but you sometimes hire subcontractors to help with bigger projects.
- Who hires Pro Freelancers on Unicorn Factory? Pros are our most hired group of freelancers. They work with all types of businesses from small local businesses to government agencies and large corporations.
- You run your own agency or studio, and have between 1 - 5 FTEs. You also frequently hire freelancer for their specialised skills to help out on projects.
- You see Unicorn Factory as a way to connect to more local businesses who may need your services.
- Who hires Studios on Unicorn Factory? Often larger Kiwi businesses, government agencies or funded startups hire studios because they can take on larger projects and deliver a wider range of services.
Flexible pricing, no hidden costs, cancel anytime.
If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out to us through our contact pageContact Us
How long does the approval process take?
We review all applications on the 20th of each month. Depending on your application and availability of spots we will either approve, reject or waitlist you. We will explain what the next steps are via email. If you haven't heard from us, please reach out via our contact page.
Am I guaranteed leads if I sign up to a membership?
No. Unfortunately, we cannot control whether or not clients decide to reach out to you. Our job is to get as many potential clients in front of you. It is your job to make sure that your profile is presented well and that you have case studies added to your profile, the two biggest factors in getting clients to reach out.
Is there a trial? Why is this website not free?
We don't do trials anymore. We trialed it for a while and unfortunately it attracted too many people who didn't take it seriously. We try to keep our membership as low as possible. We do however refund you if you complete your profile and don't get any leads.
The reason why it's not free to sign up as a freelancer is because I would lose heaps of money trying to keep the site online.
How many leads will I receive under each membership?
Again, it depends on the type of membership type you select, as well as what services you offer. In terms of service category the breakdown of enquiries is as follow: 40% are for design related projects, 33% are marketing related projects and 27% are software related projects.
In terms of freelancer type: - 50% of our enquiries go to ⭐️ Pros, 37% to 😎 Side Hustlers, 8% to ⚡️Studios and 5% to 🚀 Newbies.
We currently receive between 250 - 350 direct enquiries every single month, with the average client reaching out to three freelancers at a time.
How much money can I make as a freelancer?
The average deal a freelancer closes on Unicorn Factory is NZD3.5k (in 2020). The biggest contract that two different freelancers closed last year was for NZD 50k.
How much you charge will again depend on what you do and how much you charge.
I have never worked as a freelancer... can I still join?
Luckily, there is a community of us that have all been in that situation before and we have a forum where you can ask whatever questions you have about freelancing.
Our goal is to not just help you get more leads, we want you to succeed as a freelancer long-term which is why we have our forum for you to ask questions, and to connect with other freelancers.
What is your refund policy?
If you sign up and it just doesn't work out for you and you feel like it was a waste of money, I am happy to refund you for your last month under the following conditions:
1) You have added at least one case study to your profile.
2) You have bcc'd me in responses to leads (if you received any)
3) You put effort into creating a great bio.